Non-recurring Adoption Expense Reimbursements

December 30, 2009 affording adoption, Stefanie 1 Comments

I know, it’s a mouthful. But it’s worth taking the time to toss around as many families adopting special needs kids from China qualify for up to $2000 back from their state.

Special needs domestic adoptions are eligible in every state for a one time reimbursement of non-recurring adoption expenses. But many states also reimburse non-recurring adoption expenses for international adoptions. Since each state has discretion over the distribution of funds, not every state will reimburse for international adoptions.

States also vary on when you must apply for reimbursement, most states requiring that the paperwork is initiated before the final adoption occurs. After placement, the paperwork is completed. Typically, proof of the completed adoption and proof of non-recurring adoption expenses (travel expenses, agency costs, homestudy fees, etc) totaling the amount to be reimbursed is required.

The reimbursement amount varies by state and ranges from $500 to $2,000. Certainly enough to be worth investigating. And I recommend thoroughly investigating the laws in your particular state. Make the calls to the person in charge of the unit, don’t assume that what you read on the internet is current. You might be pleasantly surprised to find out your adoption qualifies for reimbursement!

Visit the NACAC site for details on who to contact in your state.

One response to “Non-recurring Adoption Expense Reimbursements”

  1. sweet momma luv u says:

    Thank you Stephanie for sharing this! I had no idea and every little bit helps!! I looked up our state and it does have a reimbursement for SN's adoption.

    Can't wait to follow your trip! We are still waiting TA…. only day 27 so far though.
    : ) Jody

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

© 2022 No Hands But Ours

The content found on the No Hands But Ours website is not approved, endorsed, curated or edited by medical professionals. Consult a doctor with expertise in the special needs of interest to you.